Monday, August 30, 2010

Opal Wildfire Update #9



May 24, 2010


Hello to everyone,

The last 12 days have been quite a ride.  The rain  has been heaven-sent.  It has truly been working miracles.

The responses to these wildfire updates have been unbelievable and very much appreciated.  I have had email correspondence with everyone from the next-to-door neighbour to leaders of  provincial political parties.  Everyone that has responded has been supportive and many have offered prayers and help.  To the best of my knowledge, every request for assistance has been responded to.

The work to put out this fire will go on for weeks or possibly months.  The costs are estimated to be between $5 - $8 million dollars.  There is a rumor circulating that SRD may pick up as much as 70% of the cost.  That still leaves 30% for the counties (most of that to Thorhild).

Officials are confirming that the fire was started by an ATV passing through the area.  That is no surprise to anyone that lives out here.  When I heard this news, I started to compose one of my best rants -- it went on for 11 typed pages.  It was full of facts and statistics directed at showing how irresponsible most ATV enthusiasts are.  As I read through it I realized how negative the rant was and how inappropriate it would be in a time for thanksgiving.  So I took all the negative stuff out and was left with what we have here--about a page.

A few people have provided me with some great pictures related to the fire.  If anyone has others I would appreciate receiving them.  I'd like to use them as I chronicle the fire and the recovery of the site.

The immediate emergency seems to be over but I hope that the interest that everyone has shown in the Opal Natural Areas and grazing leases will continue.  As long as there is an interest I would like to keep sending out these updates periodically.  If you do not wish to receive them just let me know and I will take you off of the emailing list.

Thank you everyone.

Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment